Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Weeds and Cactus What kind of friend are you?

You might think because I live in Arizona, this is a post about all the Cactus I see, and all the weeds that seem to pop up out of nowhere. However while praying for wisdom about some situations in my life… I’m sure the Lord used what I see daily as inspiration.. and I had to share this life lesson with you.
We start with this picture:
 Cactuscollage
Ahhh the cactus…
Durable, strong, BEAUTIFUL flowers, slow growing, LOW maintenance, guarded, protected, able to withstand extreme temperatures, resistant, resilient, steadfast with DEEP roots.
I want to be a cactus.
I have come to the realization that I want to be a friend like a Cactus. I take time to grow, but when I do I bloom the most beautiful fruits and flowers, I can withstand just about anything, and as a friend steadfast. But I need to guard my heart, and remain deeply rooted in my Lord and Savior.  A cactus can take the beatings of life and still stand firm in the truths of the Bible.

Then there is the second picture:
weedcollage
First we see beauty, color, nature, hope, wishes…
but these are weeds.
Weeds are bad.
Weeds sprout up quickly, weeds can choke out your well maintained garden, weeds can suck the life out of you, Weeds have VERY shallow roots,  weeds spread quickly, weeds sometimes come disguised as beautiful flowers; so we allow them to stick around.. and sure enough every time you wish you had pulled it out and not allowed it to flourish and wreak havoc in your garden.
yes weeds are bad. 
Have you ever met someone, and you seem to be meant to be friends with that person.  You just think the world of them. Then it happens, It could be a friend telling you hey that person isn’t a good influence, or even your spouse who says that person is NOT good for your heart or your walk with the Lord. But they are soooo pretty these other people must not see what I see.  They are disrespectful of your family and your values, they lie and manipulate to get things their way… but they read the Bible, but what is the depth of their roots? Y keep forgiving what you know is wrong, even when there is no apology because that is what we as Christ followers are called to do. You don’t bother bringing up what hurts because you know what you will get is hurt more by the excuses, and no accountability, so what’s the point? Then.. the straw that breaks the camels back happens. You realize this person is the dandelion your mom always told you NOT to blow on! Aww man. So you have to remove them from your garden (your life).
I tend to weed people.. I see all the good and potential and want to become good friends now. I don't have the patience to let the friendship grow organically. Fortunately I have my hubby who will remind me to cactus my friends. As I have some beautiful cacti in my life!!
We all have the ability to be either a weed or a cactus… we just need to remember that the friendships without deep roots can never last.
This is what the Bible has to say about weeds:

Matthew 13:24-30

He put before them another parable: ‘The kingdom of heaven may be compared to someone who sowed good seed in his field; but while everybody was asleep, an enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and then went away. So when the plants came up and bore grain, then the weeds appeared as well. And the slaves of the householder came and said to him, “Master, did you not sow good seed in your field? Where, then, did these weeds come from?” He answered, “An enemy has done this.” The slaves said to him, “Then do you want us to go and gather them?” But he replied, “No; for in gathering the weeds you would uproot the wheat along with them. Let both of them grow together until the harvest; and at harvest time I will tell the reapers, Collect the weeds first and bind them in bundles to be burned, but gather the wheat into my barn.” ’