Saturday, May 15, 2010

I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer it sings because it has a song" Maya Angelou


Maya Angelou is one of my mentors in life. I've never met her, but I've read her books, all of them. Her life is an inspiration. She has been through it all, abuse, persecution, she was a big part of the Civil Rights movement, she's lived all over. She's a poet and author, if you have never read her books, I suggest you do!!

My love of bird cages comes from the book "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings" The quote from the book "A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer it sings because it has a song" speaks VOLUMES to me.  I want to share what it means to me, please comment and share what means to you!

As a creative person, I always want to say something about me in my work. I don't make things because I can, I make things because I LOVE to! I want people to see the things I make, and see me in them. See my passion for the items I create, and see my love of color, yarn, paper, and buttons!!

As a human being, we all go through trials, and life lessons. We don't share these experiences with people because we have all the answers, we share them because it's our life, and our song. We are meant to go through these things to learn and share.  It's not an answer, it's life. Think about the times you are listening to the radio and a song just resonates with you. Then you find out that the singer wrote the song based on life experiences.... doesn't it just mean so much more to you??

I feel we all have a song, we all have something to share, and it's not the great answer to life, it's about making the bonds and connections in life.

I love to do a search on Etsy for Bird Cages here are just a few of the Purdy Things I found!!



















Womens Bird Cage T-Shirt by CanteloupeCorner

























50's Birdcage Pillow by Olive
























Vinyl Wall Decal Hanging Bird Cage by HouseholdWords

2 comments:

Jenifer said...

Cute Blog! Thanks for featuring my birdcage tee. I adore birdcages too! I love the items you picked.
Thanks!

Fallon said...

Birdcages are my favorite! So great to see my pillow here, thanks for sharing ;)

http://xxsweetfancyxx.blogspot.com/