Wednesday, October 24, 2012

{caged}Consider it Joy??

Consider it {PURE JOY} my bothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, Because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, 
not lacking anything.
James 1:2-4

I don't know about you but I know for me there are times when I've read, or heard that verse and thought seriously... pure joy huh?? Right... 
Growing up, I had always heard the stories about how the faithful were chosen to do the Lord's work. Mary was my hero, she was faithful and God chose her to be the mother of Jesus!! David was so faithful he went from being a Shepard to a conqueror, and then King!! How exciting! I wanted to be chosen to do great things for God. I also firmly believed that the more faithful you were, that nothing bad could or would ever happen to you.  Boy oh boy was I wrong.. on both counts!! 
I was raped and molested for almost 3 years by 2 people I thought I could trust, in the first {caged} post, I talked more about what had happened to me as a preteen. {it's still a bit hard to talk about so please bear with me}

By 14, I was rebellious, angry and confused. I did not understand how my loving God had allowed this to happen to me. I didn't understand what I did wrong, and I didn't understand that the Lord was there the whole time, ready for me to rely on him for my healing. Moving forward to 16, instead of finding out why, or how these things happened to me,  I let my anger towards the Lord fester, and became bitter. I thought if he didn't care about what happened to me, what did what I do matter, and if it did matter I didn't care what he thought I felt he had abandoned me long ago. 

My husband and I started going to church when we were dating and living together, we went because we wanted the kids to go. After a few months, there was a sermon on finding Joy in the pain. Pshhh Joy in Pain??
Yeah right... there is NO joy in being a survivor of Abuse. 
{wrong}
 And we know that all things work together for {GOOD} to those who love God and are called according to {HIS} purpose. Romans 8:28

Take a moment to let that sink in. Think to a moment in your life you felt was senseless. Have you forgiven either the person or yourself?? Then you learned the lesson of forgiveness. Have you been able to identify with another person going through something similar?? Then the Lord used you to help another person. Has your past made you stronger? Then you learned how to persevere. Have you been blessed by the help of others? Has your past enabled you to make a better future??

There is good in the bad. It's all in perspective. It's so hard to see past our pain, until we realize there is hope and healing in it. No matter how much it hurts, healing is that much better. I know that if it weren't for the Lord, my Grandparents, my husband,and some great people the Lord sent my way I would not know what true healing is. It's being at peace with the Lord's plan. Knowing that there is a reason for everything, and it is all apart of the Lords good and perfect plan. Knowing that the Lord has never left your side, and when you go through the hard times, it's because HE is preparing you to do HIS work. 
I know that it's easier said than done.. I've been there, and I still have struggles with it when I am knee deep in trials. I just have to remind myself to pray and seek God's wisdom in the circumstances. That is what I pray for you all too, that we can find peace and joy in all that has happened or will happen in our life.Jesus said it himself: 
I have told you these things so that {IN ME} you may have peace, in this world you WILL have trouble.. BUT TAKE HEART!! I have overcome the world! John 16:33

What more could we really ask for?? 

I would love to hear your stories of overcoming and finding joy... I would love to hear your stories of searching for your joy.. I would just love to hear from you... 
please leave me a comment below


 


1 comments:

MrsJWhyte said...

Love this. Forgiveness is a very very hard thing to do for many people. Joe and I have had our share of troubles and I can very honestly say, with out the Lord in our lives we would have been overcome by Satan and seperated our sweet family. We were both able to forgive each other and get over the hurt and pain and find joy in our lives and marriage and be an example for others struggling in their marriages/relationships. Keep up the posts Becky. This is wonderful! love you!!! xoxo